Preparing for a Storm
UL certified building products and programs enhance safety and help you be better prepared in the event of a storm.
- Storm Preparation – Gather information and plan to take action.
- Preparedness Plans – Its vital to be prepared for these kinds of events to protect you from the unexpected.
- Hurricane and Tornado window & door testing – Windstorm rated building assemblies assist in providing protection high velocity winds and windborne debris resulting from hurricane and tornado force winds.
- Safe rooms/Storm shelters – Provide protection of occupants against injury or death during extreme weather events such as hurricanes and tornadoes.
- Lightning Protection – Adding a lightning protection system to a building increases protection from physical damage and reduces the possibility of fire.
Keeping Safe After the Storm
Damage to building utilities and structures inflicted by floods, hurricanes and other dangerous storms may not be readily visible or apparent and may create an unforeseen hazard that could result in fire, shock or other health risks.
UL provides the following tips to help restore your property to a safe condition:
- Critical Lifesaving Post Storm Guide
- Operating Portable Generators
- Protecting Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Home Heating Safety After the Storm
Damage to building utilities and structures inflicted by floods, hurricanes and other dangerous storms may not be readily visible or apparent and may create an unforeseen hazard that could result in fire, shock, or other health risks.
UL is available to assist jurisdictions after disasters with fire and life safety building inspections including:
- Fire Alarm System Inspections
- Sprinkler System Inspections
- Fire Rated Corridor and Stairwell Inspections
- Fire Stopping and Penetrations Inspections
- Fire Door Inspections
- Construction Site Fire Safety Inspections
- Plan Review
Access the following tips to help restore your property to a safe condition:
- Personal Protective Equipment For Storm Recovery
- Restoring Your Flooded Residential Property
- Restoring Your Flooded Commercial Property
- UL Assistance Evaluating Water-Damaged Equipment
- Flood Immersed Electrical Wiring and Equipment
- UL Field Evaluations to determine if power can safely be restored
- Modular data centers to provide emergency communications
If further assistance is needed related to this important topic, please visit our website or contact a member of our Codes and Advisory Services staff. For all other inquiries, please contact UL’s Customer Service Professionals at 1+877.854.3577 (1+877.ULHelps) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org